Green Card Renewal or Replacement Immigration Lawyer - Miami, Florida

Learn how lawyers in Miami can help you renew or replace your Green Card. Speak with an immigration lawyer for guidance today.

How Can I Renew or Replace My Green Card?

Sometimes, time can get away from you, and you don’t realize it until it’s too late that your green card has expired.  Alternatively, your green card could be lost or stolen.  If that is the case, you should file a police report to let authorities know you lost this key document, as someone else could use it to commit identity fraud.  You also need to renew your green card every 10 years.  Basically, unless an immigration judge has taken away your green card, you should apply to renew or replace your green card.

Who Should Renew or Replace their Green Card?

Both Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) and Conditional Permanent Residents (CPRs) should apply to renew or replace their green cards. LPRs must do so by filing the form I-90, and CPRs can replace their green cards by filing the form I-751 if marriage-based or I-829 if investor-based.

Lawful Permanent Residents

Must replace their green cards if:

  • Your Green Card is either expired or will expire within the next six months;
  • Your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed;
  • You received your card before you were 14 and you are over 14 now (unless your card expires before your 16th birthday);
  • You have been a commuter and are now taking up actual residence in the United States;
  • You have been a permanent resident residing in the United States and are now taking up commuter status;
  • Your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident status (this includes special agricultural worker applicants who are converting to permanent resident status);
  • You have a older version of the Alien Registration Card (for example, USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103 or Form I-151, which are no longer valid to prove your immigration status) and must replace it with a current Green Card;
  • Your card contains incorrect information;
  • You have legally changed your name or other biographic information on the card since you last received your card; or
  • You never received the previous card USCIS issued to you.

Conditional Permanent Residents

Must replace your Green Card if:

  • Your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed;
  • Your card contains incorrect information;
  • You have legally changed your name or other biographic information on the card since you last received your card; or
  • You never received the previous card USCIS issued to you.

Can I Renew or Replace My Green Card if I Have a Criminal Record?

In most cases, even if you have a criminal record, you can apply for a replacement green card.  However, you should immediately discuss your case and ideally file with the help of an immigration lawyer.  In most cases, your experienced green card renewal immigration lawyer will advise you not to travel outside the United States if you have a serious or pending criminal case in your history.  Further, your lawyer can evaluate whether you qualify to apply for your citizenship, even despite your criminal case.

Should I Renew My Green Card or File for Citizenship?

If your green card will expire within 6 months, it is recommended that you file to renew your green card, even if you also plan to file for your citizenship.  You are required by law to have a valid, unexpired proof of your lawful permanent residence at all times, and government officials can decide your citizenship based on their discretion as to whether you have good moral character within the 5-year period.  For that reason, it is strongly recommended that you renew your green card even if you are filing for your citizenship.

That being said, it is always recommended that you file for your citizenship if you qualify for it. Citizenship has many benefits, including protecting you from deportation, ability to vote, social security benefits, freedom with travel, among others:  However, please keep in mind that applying for citizenship can be a very big mistake if you don’t, in fact, qualify for it.  There are times that filing for citizenship can actually cause you to be placed in removal proceedings to defend your green card; for example, if you received your green card or initial entry visa via fraud or if you have committed a deportable criminal offense within a certain number of years of receiving your green card.  Criminal laws change over time and according to the state in which they occurred, so please consult with an experienced Miami Immigration Lawyer before you apply for your citizenship.

Can I Travel While My Green Card Renewal or Replacement is Pending?

Yes, you can, if you have the receipt notice with your expired green card.  Starting in September 2022, USCIS changed the language on the receipt notices for the I-90 to state that the notice would automatically extend the person’s green card status by 24 months (2 years).  Thus, if you have an expired green card and a copy of your I-90 receipt notice, you can travel without the need for an I-551 stamp in your passport.  If you have lost your expired green card, you would need to get your passport stamped through an INFOPass Appointment with USCIS to present that along with your I-90 receipt notice in order to travel.

If you have applied to renew your conditional permanent resident card through an I-751, your receipt notice will also extend your green card status by the amount of time indicated on the notice when you travel with the expired green card also.  However, please note that this only works when you timely filed your I-751. If you have late-filed your I-751, it is not recommended that you travel considering the receipt notice cannot “extend” your status beyond an already expired date.

If you do plan to travel while your green card renewal or replacement is pending, make sure you bring the correct documentation with you before you travel and that you don’t stay outside the US longer than 6 months. You should also ideally wait until after you have taken your fingerprints or have someone receiving your mail able to help you request to reschedule your fingerprints in the event that you cannot wait for the fingerprints to be taken before you leave.  If you have hired an immigration attorney to help you file your green card renewal case, he or she can help you request to reschedule the appointment.

How Can an Immigration Lawyer Help With Filing to Renew or Replace My Green Card?

When you are applying for either a replacement or renewal green card, an immigration lawyer can be invaluable to ensure you file correctly and that your case stays on track with normal processing times. Further, an experienced Miami Green Card Renewal and Replacement Lawyer can help you understand whether you are eligible to also apply for your citizenship, and which application should be filed first.  In addition, an experienced Immigration lawyer can:

  • Review the strength of your case for you
  • Help prepare the best possible case for your unique situation
  • File all necessary paperwork at the right time
  • Help guide you through the process and understand what to expect
  • Understand whether and how you can travel while your case is pending
  • Recommend next steps for your case

Filing the proper evidence is crucial to obtaining your renewal or replacement green card. If you’re contemplating filing a replacement or renewal green card because your card is expiring, your name or information has changed, there was an error on your card, your card was lost, destroyed or stolen, or for any other reason listed above, we recommend you hire an immigration lawyer with a proven track record of helping clients renew and replace green cards. We can provide you with guidance to make sure you meet the requirements to renew or replace your green card in an efficient manner.

Thinking About Filing to Renew or Replace your Green Card? Hire a Top Immigration Lawyer in Miami, Florida

Are you in need of renewing or replacing your green card?  Are you curious if you could or should also file for your citizenship? You’ve come to the right place: Immigration Lawyers USA! We are top immigration lawyers in Miami, Florida and are able to help you navigate the complexities of applying and qualifying for a renewal or replacement of your green card. If you need help with your specific case, give Immigration Lawyers USA a call at 305-501-0783 or contact us here to schedule your Green Card Renewal or Replacement Strategy Session.

Scroll to Top